Sunday, September 14, 2008

My Busy Saturday

My day started out pretty early, 6;30!! Cami spent the night at my house and after a night of greasy food and Ben and Jerry's we were psyched for our 5k the next day... We are crazy! We woke up, dressed, and hopped in the car to meet Kari. Little did we know we were suppose to climb Traverse Mt on the Draper side so after a half hour of confusion we went to the north side of the mountain. When we arrived it was before 8 and that is the start time of the 10k and we had a hour until our race started. We checked in and as you can see in the photo the 5k runners numbers started in the 900s and lucky for me it was in alphabetical order. I was first on the list. The only first I was guaranteed at the race. Kari got 901 also the only time I was ahead of Kari.


Just my luck I am not embarrassed enough by my lack of running ability you add the fact that the run was for charity. The charity I work for! So that means the students I hang out with on a daily basis with volleyball were at the event. Oh dang, now there is a challenge, maintain the respect level and run... virtually impossible you say? Yeah I know.
Well the race started and it was downhill! I was actually excited until we turned the corner and went uphill for the next 3 miles. It was the hardest run of my life! I don't run enough to pace myself in general let alone uphill. I was just hoping for better then my last race (I had just got diagnosed and almost blacked out) and it was. I got low but had my candy and finished the race in a decent time. I was met at the end by the girls and they were supportive and darling. I don't actually know my time but I guess finishing is enough.



My next exciting event of the day started only two hours after my 5k finished. I ran to Eric and Kari's house showered changed and met Chad who drove really quickly down to Provo and I got to the BYU vs UCLA game in time for warm ups. I was soooo nervous for the game since I watched UCLA vs Tennessee and saw the potential of UCLA especially their offense but much to my excitement and Southern California's dismay BYU came to play!! It was a such a fun time. I was able to relax after the first quarter and eat two snow cones. Much to my diabetes dismay. 59 points later I loved the experience and love my BYU football. I could go into forever detail about the game but I think the only word needed to describe the game is perfect. Can you say goose egg?






If that wasn't enough for one day I swapped my shirt and got in the mood for a cultural experience. And that is what I got. We met Nate and Olivia (my old/favorite coworkers) and drove to Spanish Fork. It is weird that I have been to Spanish Fork so many times and never bothered to really believe anything cool could exist in such a quiet, slightly backwards town. I am always surprised by the diversity in Utah. Thank you Krishna! The temple is awesome. It is surrounded by mountains and fields. It sticks out that is for sure. We ate delicious Indian food and walked around. They were getting around to burning the effigy but we couldn't stick around. First of all my day was getting long and for some reason my body was arguing my ability to calculate carbs. So much for math skills.


So the day was great and full and worth spending the time and energy. I loved spending the morning with family the afternoon with Chad and the evening with my friends. Talk about perfect. I finished a race, cheered for my favorite team and stepped outside of my bubble for a few hours. Top it off with the rest of my new favorite flavor of Ben and Jerry's, Brownie Cheesecake, and what more could I ask for. (I know Michigan with a winning season but lets not get greedy).

No comments:

Post a Comment