It seems that as of late I have had ample oppertunities to be entertained.
In just 7 days I was able to see two free concerts of respectable quality.
Chad and I went to see Journey in concert at the USANA ampitheater. Technically these tickets cost someone money but not us!! It was really fun concert to attend. We got there in time to hear Cheap Trick play their song "I want you to want me" and to hear Heart play some classics "Barracuda" , "Crazy on you" and "Magic Man".
While Cheap Trick and Heart were great we went to hear Journey and they didn't disappoint. I realize that there is only one original member currently touring with the group but it didn't take away from the excitement of it all. They were full of energy and besides throwing in some songs from their 2005 album (which I had never heard before) it was a nestalgic playlist that took me back as far as I can remember. I know that isn't very far back considering all of the original fans that remember the beginning. But since the lead singer is probably my age I don't feel guilty joining the hard core (and slightly weird looking) group that gathered for the show. It was a quality setlist which had all the classics. The best was when they ended the encore with "Faithfully". It was a perfect ending to an evening of good conversation (thank you Nate and Wendee) and people watching (thank you all the weirdos who should be on What Not To Wear) and good music (thank you middle aged rockers who just won't die).
The next Thursday Eric, Chad and I met up to hit up the Twilight Concert Series at the Gallivan Center in Salt Lake. This is a free concert series that Salt Lake puts on every year. This weeks entertainers were Josh Ritter and Andrew Bird. I was especially excited for Andrew Bird, he has been the song on my Myspace page for over a year. Fake Pallidromes really caught my attention one day as I was shuffling through my ipod. There is something about the lyrics "Swapping your blood with formaldahyde" that was extremely catchy. We only heard a few of Josh Ritters songs but since I had seem him play in Provo a few years ago I wasn't stressing out about his set. What we heard was well done and it is nice to see Idaho produce some talent. Of course I am just kidding Idaho is full of talented people T.H. Bell, Picabo Street, the guy who invented TV and Josh Ritter. When Andrew Bird came out I was really excited because he started whistling. I really never thought about whistling being so amazing but that guy can whistle. I was hoping for a lot from his album Weather Systems and The Mysterious Production of Eggs. He played a bunch of songs from these and about every other song was a new one from their upcoming album. While I enjoyed myself and enjoyed my company only about every 3 minutes of every song he played could hold my attention. I don't know if that was because my blood sugar was high or that is what happens when you play 8 minute long songs with at least three minutes of the song being instrumental. It was entertaining and something that I think I could do every Thursday. I think very few people (as the thousands at the Gallivan center would agree) cannot afford to spend a few hours at a free concert.
In just 7 days I was able to see two free concerts of respectable quality.
Chad and I went to see Journey in concert at the USANA ampitheater. Technically these tickets cost someone money but not us!! It was really fun concert to attend. We got there in time to hear Cheap Trick play their song "I want you to want me" and to hear Heart play some classics "Barracuda" , "Crazy on you" and "Magic Man".
While Cheap Trick and Heart were great we went to hear Journey and they didn't disappoint. I realize that there is only one original member currently touring with the group but it didn't take away from the excitement of it all. They were full of energy and besides throwing in some songs from their 2005 album (which I had never heard before) it was a nestalgic playlist that took me back as far as I can remember. I know that isn't very far back considering all of the original fans that remember the beginning. But since the lead singer is probably my age I don't feel guilty joining the hard core (and slightly weird looking) group that gathered for the show. It was a quality setlist which had all the classics. The best was when they ended the encore with "Faithfully". It was a perfect ending to an evening of good conversation (thank you Nate and Wendee) and people watching (thank you all the weirdos who should be on What Not To Wear) and good music (thank you middle aged rockers who just won't die).
The next Thursday Eric, Chad and I met up to hit up the Twilight Concert Series at the Gallivan Center in Salt Lake. This is a free concert series that Salt Lake puts on every year. This weeks entertainers were Josh Ritter and Andrew Bird. I was especially excited for Andrew Bird, he has been the song on my Myspace page for over a year. Fake Pallidromes really caught my attention one day as I was shuffling through my ipod. There is something about the lyrics "Swapping your blood with formaldahyde" that was extremely catchy. We only heard a few of Josh Ritters songs but since I had seem him play in Provo a few years ago I wasn't stressing out about his set. What we heard was well done and it is nice to see Idaho produce some talent. Of course I am just kidding Idaho is full of talented people T.H. Bell, Picabo Street, the guy who invented TV and Josh Ritter. When Andrew Bird came out I was really excited because he started whistling. I really never thought about whistling being so amazing but that guy can whistle. I was hoping for a lot from his album Weather Systems and The Mysterious Production of Eggs. He played a bunch of songs from these and about every other song was a new one from their upcoming album. While I enjoyed myself and enjoyed my company only about every 3 minutes of every song he played could hold my attention. I don't know if that was because my blood sugar was high or that is what happens when you play 8 minute long songs with at least three minutes of the song being instrumental. It was entertaining and something that I think I could do every Thursday. I think very few people (as the thousands at the Gallivan center would agree) cannot afford to spend a few hours at a free concert.
Where did your slide show go? You should belatedly post some of your Disneyland pictures so I can get them. Or does Emily have them?
ReplyDelete