The first weekend in November Chad and I were ready for yet another vacation. I know I am on vacation quite often this year but once again I was ready.
Tiana and I had planned on getting together a few times this year and I really wanted to go visit her in California. I haven't been out to her place and have only been to the central valley once before. So Tiana, the great friend that she is, put together an awesome plan, we went to San Francisco and the coast at Monterey.
Since I like to sleep at nights Chad did the hard part of the drive Thursday night (the 12-6 shift). I did my due diligence but was feeling pretty good when we arrived in Visalia at Tiana's cute house by around 9:30 CA time. I was ready to roll but Chad was feeling the effects of the Monsters he had downed. So while he slept T, Jason and I brainstormed on what we wanted to see/do. We thought of everything from concerts to ball games to museums. I was so excited that San Francisco had so much to offer.
When Chad felt more awake we hopped in the car for the surprisingly exciting drive. Needless to say construction and catching up can lead to misadventures and unexpected detours. Thanks to Jason's trusty iPhone we crossed the bridge and were on the BART before I even had my gradual climb in blood sugar.
The BART is the public transportation system in San Francisco and since you have to pay quite an alarming amount to park your car at downtown hotels it was the only way for us to travel. It made me feel like I was back in Korea. Actually most of the time we were in San Francisco I felt comfortable and rather nostalgic, from how the sidewalks were paved to the bus system and the large groups of people. I saw a lot more Asians, that probably had a lot to do with the fact we were staying in the hotel Nikko which had a lot of Japanese guests. The hotel was nice but I wouldn't recommend it (hidden fees and the like).
That night we were trying to decide where to eat and once again the iPhone saved us. We ended up at a great Indian restaurant and split curry/ lamb and rice. The place was small and very busy. I thought that was actually reassuring. On the way home we decided to go shopping and get some ice cream but I guess there were a few ways to get where we were going and we picked one that was an addicts dream, Chad and I were a little shocked to see a guy smoking a crack pipe in the open but all part of the fun. Shopping at Union Square was going to be pricey but it is always a lot of fun to dream and imagine.
The next morning we got on the F-line bus and went down to the piers. We walked up and down and decided to take a Bay Cruise that went under the Golden Gate Bridge and around Alcatraz. Since Jason and I had been to Alcatraz and the tickets were sold out we decided that this would be cool. It was. We got some great views of the Bridge but since it was foggy (typical San Francisco) you couldn't see the top. I didn't mind but Chad had never seen it before. Still, it was an adventure. I also learned that it was/is illegal to call San Francisco "Frisco" it goes without saying that I called it that multiple times...I am a rebel. We also ate at Boudin Bakery, legendary bread bowls, walked up to Ghiradelli square and found hilarious books at a little shop. We went to Pier 39 and saw the Sea Lions and even saw a few metallic dancers/statutes. We ended our wharf trip with some expensive chocolates and Tiana and Jason buying their delicious olive oil.
When dinner time came we had been eyeing a little Italian place kiddie corner from our hotel. It was hard to decide what to eat. I usually am not very adventuresome with my food but I was on vacation. I ordered Butternut Squash Tortellini with Brown Sugar Pecan sauce with spring peas and arugula. It was as good as it sounds and since I was on such a roll for desert I couldn't help but get the Pumpkin ravioli with chocolate ganache topped with Vanilla Gelato with Toasted Pumpkin seeds and a light dusting of Coco Powder. It was awesome. Chad got Spaghetti and Meatballs and Chocolate Cake.
Tiana and I had a good time shopping and searching for a dress for her brother-in-laws soon to be wedding. I introduced her to department store shopping and we just had a good time being together again.
The next day we drove to Monterey and our first stop was the Aquarium. I happen to be a big fan of aquariums and so I had a great time. We petted a sting ray which feels like slimy, mossy rubber also touched star fish and other sea creatures. The jelly fish were so cool looking since they seem to glow in the dark and seeing a great (or just plain, I can't tell the difference) white shark swim right by your head is crazy. I think the part we all seemed to enjoy the most was the otters. Chad wanted to take one home, I of course said no. It might try to eat Sugar and I wouldn't stand for that.
That night we had delicious Island food, Seafood for the ones that eat it and something else for me. We walked along the wharf and saw the sail boats and the great expanse of ocean. Tiana's keen eye spotted quite a number of Sea Lions and I think the salt air made us all quite tired. We went to the hotel and relaxed and caught up on the news and sports, we had to prepare ourselves for the next day. Shopping.
We went to the Gilroy Outlets (in Gilroy) and the best part was the Coach store. Tiana has a great bag and if I didn't have to pay for diabetes I would have been all over that. The prices I pay for insulin would have bought me a lovely handbag that has a cover for my laptop. Yeah, I am starting to think health is overrated... Anyway Tiana found some cute things and I almost got Jason to buy a sweater. He looked good in it but he was stubborn! He didn't realize I was living vicariously.
Well this was our last day but not my last adventure. We stopped at Casa De Fruita on the way home. I purchased this Mango which was so delicious and can you say mint chocolate covered milk balls? I can and I did. It was a quick stop but how many people can say they have been to Casa De Fruita? According to their website millions but now I am one of those millions. Part of the drive home covered the place were James (or as I know him Jimmy) Dean crashed and it is also the most dangerous road in California. My passengers and I arrived safely to Visalia and then Chad and I continued on to Utah. I drove for a while and then Chad with some more Monsters took over for quite a while but I eventually woke up just in time to take over while Chad puked his guts out. I blame caffeine poisoning. Let that be a lesson.
All in all I had so much fun. I love Northern California and Tiana and Jason. Thanks T for setting it all up. I am excited for next years adventure!!
I didn't want to post all the pictures. It takes too long but they are on my Picasa site.
I love Frisco... and Pumpkin Ravioli
That was a GREAT synopsis of our vacation. That was SO much fun! I can't wait for next year. I am looking forward to seeing you over Christmas too! I have an awesome Christmas present for you so get excited - you will love it! I should also note that I found a coupon for Banana Republic and bought the dress! Yes, I am happy :) I am sad to hear Chad got sick on the way home though. It was so good to see you guys. Talk to you soon.
ReplyDelete