I have a jar of peanut butter that I would call on the large side (64oz). It is Skippy and it is only Skippy because I haven't be able to find the huge tubs of Peter Pan peanut butter that I use to eat.

This particular jar of peanut butter was purchased when I went to California on the 24th of February. I had run out of the last jar and if you have been around when I get low I tend to crave peanut butter. Crave might be a mild form of what I feel about the creamy goodness when my blood sugar drops.

This morning I woke up about 4:51. This isn't like waking up in the morning and slowly coming to a conscious state. I am automatically awake. This of course means my blood sugar is low. I go to the fridge grab a juice box, put the straw in and ten seconds later it is gone. This of course is never enough to satisfy the starving feeling that low blood sugar gives and so I go the next thing my brain/blood wants, peanut butter. This is all well and good because in 2 Tablespoons it only has 7 grams of carbohydrates and so tends to not do much to the blood sugar. That is if I limit myself to 2 Tablespoons or maybe 4 at most.
I don't think I know how to limit myself.

This morning when I actually got up about 8:30 (I don't work until 10:15) I decided to make some peanut butter toast for breakfast. (Yes I do eat peanut butter at all meals and snacks and at random weird times.) I opened my jar of peanut butter and realized first, last night I actually ate my peanut butter with a fork and second, it was almost gone.
In less then a month and by myself I had consumed a whole jar of peanut butter. I was joking with the girls the other day about how in my sleep I probably consume more calories then when I am awake and that is why I can't lose weight. I was kidding then but it just might be true.
HORRIFIC. I don't think I am going to replace this jar of peanut butter. It is time to go cold turkey. I thought my skin was getting a little bit of color from being outside with soccer now I think the peanut butter has changed the pigment in my skin.
I need help. As a side note if anyone is in Sam's or Costco and see the big jar of Peter Pan peanut butter I will will pay you back. Just don't give it to me until after my wedding or do. Or don't. I really need help.

In case anyone is wondering how many calories or grams of fat I have consumed in peanut butter alone I have included the nutritional facts. Please don't judge me.

One good thing is that my A1C is down to a 7.7 that is .2% lower than 3 months ago.
As someone that has regularly witnessed these lows, I will confirm that no peanut butter is safe when Jenny's glucose level falls. If a shovel would fit in the jar I think that would be her utensil of choice... Jenny I love you and can't wait until it's my full time job to keep you peanut buttered and juice boxed (yes you can use snacks in the past tense)when you're low. June 25th...
ReplyDeleteSo you're still eating peanut butter straight out of the jar...do you still sprinkle sugar on top of the spoonfuls? (Or maybe that was Eric who did that?)
ReplyDeletechad you would take something as unromantic as peanut butter and turn it into a nice thing! :) i hope one day i can find someone who will support my peanut butter addiction as well...
ReplyDeletecami, sugar sounds really nice but i strongly suggest honey. it's like a party on a spoon!