As with all clouds there is a silver lining. I put the order in for my own Medtronic!! It should come sometime next week and I have an appointment for next Friday to get the rest of the training and then it is mine. When we were filling out paperwork today there was a spot where you marked how long you would need a pump and Dez marked "for life". Wow talk about wake up call. I felt like a convicted felon getting sentenced. "For life". I, like most type 1 diabetics, have hope that a closed loop system (measures your blood and gives you insulin in real time, no delays) will be developed in my life time but I will be diabetic for the rest of my life. I will be diabetic longer then I will not be, I hope. Longer than I will be married. It will be older then all my possible children, minus Sugar. That is a long time. Good thing I will have this pump to keep me company. Now to come up with a nickname for it...ideas?
I realized, thanks to it being pointed out, that I never really explained what happens with this pump when I shower. Since this pump, aka my pager, isn't water resistant anymore then a cell phone is it can't come in the shower with me. Instead I untwist it and it sits on my counter and the little insert stays inside of me. When I am done I put it back on. I suspend the basal (the one that automatically gives me insulin over time) so it doesn't leak out and of course I don't bolus during that time.
Also just as a side note. I have dropped the pager and it didn't rip my skin off. It didn't hurt to take the insert out and going to the bathroom with a tube attached is a whole new adventure. :)
Random photo of the day:
How can you not love Rae-Funk??
No comments:
Post a Comment