Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Presents Day and Other Adventures.

I realize that officially Monday was Presidents Day not "Presents Day" but for me it was a day of presents. Really one present.



No, Chad didn't officially propose to me. So I guess officially we aren't engaged . I can still say no, back out, run away, etc. etc. but I don't want to. We have our temple date already, June 25th, and I am ready to marry Chad Dustin Yost. I am not ready to change my name or get a new drivers license, social security card, etc. etc. but I know that comes with the territory.



So my present was a ring!!! It is a silver band and Chad said it comes with a promise of something bigger, better and a question... YES!! Oh wait I am suppose to answer after he asks...I will probably mess it up then too. He gave it to me at the airport as I was leaving for Utah. He said, "Happy Valentines Day" and gave it to me with the promise of course. I was waiting all weekend for something, anything I think we all knew what I was waiting for and it didn't come. So on the last day at the last possible time I got something. I love it. I can't believe how much it fits my personality and I like the build up to the next one. I am so embarrassed about getting attention for something I didn't earn and this is a great way to get my toes in the water. (Clarification: I am in no way embarrassed to be married to Chad.)

The funny thing about me lately is that I have been giving nicknames for everything. My goiter (OmniPod), my pager (Medtronic) and now my ring. I was on the airplane and I was looking through the movies I brought and I had packed Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. I was going to watch it but it seemed to long to start so instead I decided to read a book I have been meaning to get to, The Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency, and the main characters name is Precious Ramotswe. Considering both of these events it can't be hard to imagine the nickname I have given my ring: My Precious. Yes, I sometimes do it in the Gollum voice. I can't help myself. I hope Chad thinks that is endearing not weird.




In addition to going to Alexandria, LA to get a present I went down there to spend time with Chad and his family. My travel time happened to correspond with the start of Mardi Gras which meant parades! I love parades. I always have. There is something about them that just makes me happy but I think I was naive because until you have been to a parade where they are throwing out beads you haven't been to a parade! I went with Chad on Saturday night and got a whole grocery bag full of beads, cups and a stuffed goofy. On Sunday, while Chad was at work, I went with his mom, two of his sisters and their kids to a parade in Alexandria and I learned how to work the system. Chad's nephew, side note cutest redheaded boy ever, wasn't tall enough to see over the fence barricading the road so I would pick him up and people would throw beads, cups and lots of stuffed animals. The kids went home with bags and bags of stuff. I kept the unique ones from Sundays parades and brought the whole bag from Saturday's parade in Natchitoches.


I like Mardi Gras. I love King's Cake and the colors and even the crazy people. Mardi Gras plus Saints Super Bowl win equals fun!!




Chad's dad, Paul/Nick, playing music at the Zoo.

Okay so another funny coincidence happened on Saturday at the parade. Chad and I were sitting in our chairs just waiting for the parade when he saw some missionaries. He said, "Hello Elders." I think that they were surprised and so they stopped to talk. Since Chad lived in Natchitoches he was asking about members and stuff and then Elder Bounds (from Orange County) asked where we were from and Chad said Alexandria and I said Utah. Elder Hatch asked me what part I said I live in West Jordan now but I am from a little town up north called Hooper. He said, "Hooper?" I said, "Yeah, it is really small no one knows about it." He then said he was from Plain City. I asked if he went to Fremont and he did and graduated in '08. I asked if he knew Emily and he said it sounded familiar but he wasn't sure. I asked if he knew Andrew and he did. In fact he went to Andrew's farewell and watched movies in the movie room of my house. So we swapped crazy Andrew stories for a while and talked about Fremont. He had only been out about 7 months and only 3 weeks in Natchioches. Totally a coincidence that we picked that spot and got there early enough to run into them. They had already done 150+ contacts so we invited them to watch the parade with us. I think they felt less guilty about watching since we were there and since my bead collection was way bigger than theirs I think they felt better about that too.


There is so much I could say about my trip. I really like Louisiana and since...big news coming...I will probably be moving down there after I get married (like 90% sure) it is a good thing I like it. Maybe everyone will come visit me...Please!!

Well I am adding some more pictures. Enjoy.

This is the BBQ place we went. I looked like a warehouse but boy was it delicious.



Chad eating Grayson's BBQ.


Yep. In the South they put scriptures on everything. Good chips though.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm glad it's official (almost official anyway)
    Nsncy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for presents! I'm super excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations again Jenny! I'm so happy for you guys. It sounds like you had tons of fun in LA. I definitely want to visit you guys when you are down there. Mardi Gras next year?? On a side note, the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series is great. :) I'm reading The Art of Racing in the Rain right now...so good! I just started it yesterday and I haven't even finished it yet, but I recommend it! Talk to you soon. -T

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog and I have to agree that the red-headed little boy is the cutest ever! ;-) We had a lot of fun and I'm so glad you came! I hope you'll be back soon!!

    ReplyDelete