I know that doesn't bode well for my trial of the OmniPod but unlike those gross brown pods the OmniPod is smooth, white and egg like. It might be alien to me but I can already tell we are going to get to be good friends the next 5 days...
This is how the new pod package looks and the bottom picture is the remote. I should say that you get a new package like this every 3 days or so but you keep the same remote. The 2 things on the sides of the pod are the needle and syringe you use to fill up the insulin reservoir. That does not go into me!! I program the remote, fill the reservoir, remove the tape backing, stick the pod to some part of my body with fat (so anywhere I want) and tell the remote to attach then the cannula into my tissue and then I hear a click and I am ready to start podding (not a real word but I like the idea of it).
I really thought when the needle and cannula went into the infusion site I would feel it. I didn't. I jumped because of the clicking sound but felt nothing. I would rather insert my pod then test my blood. You would think they could make lancets (the stabbing thing that draws blood from your finger) that didn't hurt so bad!
I choose to put it on my lower abdomen. I did this mostly because there was a guy intern in the room with Dez (my dietitian/diabetes educator) and I. I think I would like to wear it higher because it would hide better but right now I am proud of it so I might as well let it show! I am wearing my shirts over it, of course, but there is a tell-tale bump. Maybe it will distract people from the lump it is sitting on. :)
On Sunday I switch to my next pod. The pods are only made to be used for a few days then disposed of. They are working on a way to refill them again and maybe that will happen maybe it won't either way I am going to enjoy the next few days.
Well I am off to bolus (give myself insulin). Wish me luck and welcome to the world of Pod people.
By the way sorry for all the skin pictures... I added this one of me holding the pod. It fits under my hand and under the shirt.
No comments:
Post a Comment