Saturday, February 13, 2010

Why doesn't Utah shut down when there is snow?

I flew into Dallas yesterday as part of my journey to Louisiana and I left snow in Salt Lake and I guess I assumed that if a plane can leave from Salt Lake in the snow it can leave from Dallas in the snow as well.

When I got to Dallas you would have thought something out of the ordinary had happened. I guess for Dallas it had... They had a lot of snow but not anything Utah hasn't seen. The best part is that they had one of the most ineffective ways of plowing the tarmac I had ever seen. The man left a snake trail of snow. They had no goal so the snow ended up in piles all over. I was entertained while I waited for news from Chad.

The first flight I was going to get on canceled. The next one canceled. The next one didn't look good for flying non-rev and the one to Alexandria late at night also didn't look promising. I was gearing up to stay in Dallas for the night (don't ask Chad what gearing up looked like because I am sure he would tell you it was ugly) when his sister, Crystal, called and said that her brother-in-laws wife's parents were stuck in Dallas trying to get to Natchitoches, (yep that is how you spell it) which is only about an hour north of Alexandria. The crazy part is that they are from Hooper! I didn't know them and Crystal didn't know if I would be comfortable joining them with their plan to drive to Natchitoches instead of wait until Saturday to hopefully get a flight. I was more excited about that then staying by myself in Dallas.



Canceled flights make for quiet airports.


So I called a stranger, met them at the rental car shuttle and off we went to rent a car. I was nervous but as soon as I met Annette I knew it wouldn't be an awkward 4 hour ride. Which I don't think would be true with most other people. So Annette and Bart Ellison were my shuttle to Chad's neck of the woods.

Annette and Bart were a riot!! They made things totally comfortable and they are vacation savers. I would still be in Dallas if not for them. I guess they would be as well but still.


Last night Chad and I went to a Taste of Mardi Gras at the local convention center. It was a ton of different food and you just went from booth to booth trying everything. So many good foods!! Chad and I realized, Chad probably already knew this, that Mardi Gras things are considered better with alcohol and so they have it everywhere!! We left before the dancing because I don't like dancing, we both had to be up early yesterday morning and we wanted to beat the drunkards. :)



Today we are off to the Zoo where Chad's Dad, Paul/Nick Yost, is playing music for the "King's Cake" celebration. So I am having sugar today...Sorry for the hard time Cami, I will expand to March 2nd... Then off to Grayson's for the "best bbq" which finally on my third time to Louisiana I get to eat and up to Natchitoches for a Mardi Gras parade. BUSY!! AWESOME!!

Oh and diabetes and travelling are not always awesome as my really high number after the first flight showed. Such is life.

Chad's niece Nikole has been my little buddy. We were looking at pictures on my computer and she went in the other room to copy me. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

2 comments:

  1. It's so weird how every where you go someone has a Hooper connection...(insert Twilight Zone music here.)

    So, I'm not going to feel so guilty then. Mom made sugar cookies yesterday. Sugar cookies don't have sugar in them...right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope and neither does king cake, banana foster, cheese cake, pecan pie, root beer floats, ice cream, donuts or any other sweet tooth satisfying food that was partaken of on that diet ending night. How am I losing weight living here?
    Chad

    ReplyDelete