Friday, February 5, 2010

Two things...

First thing is about my lovely pod. Which because of my placement choice I am now calling a goiter. It really sticks out and I think if I wore tube tops (which for every ones sake I do not) people would only see it never me. I don't want to be a freak but I guess by now I should just be grateful that when people look at me they don't see my diseases and even with the goiter they can't label me. They probably would just think that it is a really big nicotine patch.



My goiter and I are very happy together. It isn't my goiters fault that yesterday I chose to exercise at night instead of in the morning and so last night at midnight I was at 62 and this morning at 7 I woke up at 47 then when I tested before breakfast I was at 212. Talk about over correcting. I am horrible at that when I am too tired to function.



It does take me to a drawback of the OmniPod. No CGM (continuous glucose monitor). I think it could get annoying to have alarms going off every time my blood goes over 220 and under 70 but I think I would prefer the control. Waiting for symptoms of hypoglycemia especially when you are sleeping is next to impossible. How do I know if I am sweating when I am asleep? Luckily for me I still have really good liver function and so my body puts out sugar pretty steadily. Makes for bad fasting numbers but that is a good drawback when my other option is passing out.

Second thing...

Yesterday Oprah did a show on Diabetes. I know in some countries Oprah is considered royalty but if that was true why didn't she get an endocrinologist to come on her show and have Dr. Oz just be there to look pretty. He is a cardiologist not an expert (obviously) on diabetes.

Some of the things he said were accurate but some were just off. For example he said, accurately-- Type 1 diabetes, formerly known as juvenile diabetes, affects 10 percent of Americans diagnosed with diabetes. "[You're] not making enough insulin. That's generally from genetic reasons because your pancreas just doesn't work correctly," he says. "Type 1 has nothing to do to prevent it from happening."

Then in the next 30 seconds after defining Type 2 he says-- Though type 2 affects most of the population, Dr. Oz says it's the most treatable.-- MOST TREATABLE?? If they are able to treat Type 1 at all sign me up! Treating involves fixing, in my book, we are just prolonging inevitable death.

He also puts all the blame on sugar, and as anyone who knows a diabetic knows it is more than sugar it is anything that turns into sugar, carbohydrates etc. Even if I ate an all fruit diet I would die of diabetic ketoacidosis. He also very disgustingly describes how sugar cuts holes in your arteries and then you die of a heart attack. I think you have a bigger problem than diabetes if sugar is going straight to your arteries and bypassing your stomach... Maybe that is just my thought...

My last problem is the title of the show "Diabetes the Silent Killer". First of all, how insensitive are they. I know diabetes has a 70-90% chance of being the thing that kills me I don't need a reminder and secondly, there is nothing silent about diabetes. The raging emotions, the constant flushing sounds as you can no longer control your bladder, the sounds of inappropriate words being used when you know you calculated your carbs right but for some reason your blood shot right up to the 300's, and the cry for juice when you are low and the deep gulps (I hate that sound) when you are trying to prevent death on a daily basis.

All in all Oprah is bringing a national audience up to speed on the basics of diabetes I just wish at the end she would have said, "And for all you diabetic out there I am gifting you a years supply of medication!!" I would be an avid follower then for sure.

If you want to read the summary of the show check it out here. http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Diabetes-101-with-Dr-Oz-Dr-Ian-Smith-and-Bob-Greene/1

No comments:

Post a Comment