Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I remember.

I remember when I didn't have diabetes.

Sometimes I forget. Sometimes I think back on certain parts of my life and I wonder how I did that certain thing with diabetes. Especially my mission, which I didn't have diabetes on, I think about counting carbs in Korea and try really hard to remember their nutrition information and I get genuinely frustrated when I can't remember.

I remember when insurance was just a thing I had, not a thing I needed.

I remember when I didn't worry about trying to figure out co-pays and life insurance felt like something only old people needed.

I remember when I could do anything and not worry about having stashes of food in my purse, kit, car and office.

I remember when I would exercise and not try to do it at a time that wouldn't create 3 am lows.

I remember when I thought type 1 diabetes was for teenagers.

Well enough remembering. Diabetes is part of my life now and acceptance will benefit me more than wishing for the past. The sugary, awesomeness of the past. So now I will just reflect and appreciate the fact I have all my toes, my eyes aren't any worse than they were before and that at least I am a type 1 and that after February and with about 8 units of insulin I can eat a piece of Adam's peanut butter cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory.

Picture of me before Diabetes...(I didn't even know what was coming).

Picture of me after diabetes...(about 15 pounds heavier!! Dang you insulin pockets!).



I think the best part is that my life didn't change THAT much from these 2 pictures. From the outside you can't see I have diabetes and from picture you can't smell that I have diabetes. And I still go to high places with great views!!



1 comment:

  1. The POD would actually be 10-20 times cooler if it was an ipod too and you could play music from it throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete