Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sleep and Exercise. Two of my loves.

Since I have started demoing the Medtronic I really had to think differently about sleep and exercise.

I am connected to this machine by a tube. A good 2 foot long tube but tethered none the less. It creates some interesting situations.

Right now the insert in on my right side but when I sleep I move from the left to the right. Thank goodness I don't sleep on my stomach. The first night I think I was so aware of the pump that I didn't move very much but since last night I went to bed with higher than ideal blood sugar I knew it could be a problem. Sleeping with technology in my bed isn't anything new since my phone is my alarm clock and is always under my pillows but some mornings I wake up with my phone on the floor. I didn't want to wake up with my pump on the floor because that could mean it was either disconnected from me or from the tube both of which would be bad. What would be worse is having part of me disconnect with it...

So I put the pump under the pillow on my right side and then rolled over to my left and honestly I didn't even notice it. I know I tossed and turned all night (I could tell by my covers) but nothing became disconnected or twisted. So sleep conquered on to exercise.

So I have been trying to exercise more this year so I started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Today was Day 18 for me and I was getting pretty fed up with the scale numbers. I have only lost 3lbs even though I haven't had sugar for 10 days and have lowered my calorie count. So I was frustrated!! I decided to try and wear a shirt I haven't worn in a while (laundry day) and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it fit me way better then a month ago. I mean WAY better. Thanks to Jillian my back fat (gross I know) is pretty much non existent. I can't say that much for lower down (stupid insulin). So after trying this shirt on I tried on another and another that I haven't been able to wear because they looked bad. Well they don't look as bad now.



Sorry that went off topic from my pump and exercising. Well normally the pump comes with an accessory that you can hook into when you exercise, a sort of leg strap thing which makes it much more convenient. Right now it is just crazy. If I hook it to my shorts my shorts fall down when I jump. If I put it in the front or side of my bra it falls out when I do bear crawls so I resorted to looping it around the front and pulling it to the back of my bra and pushing it to the side when I am doing ab work. I need that strap. I am determined to not let this slow me down. I just hope the fat removal process starts moving down my body soon. I only have 12 days left of the shred and while I am stronger I don't know if 30 days is enough to be totally shredded.

Random pictures.


This one is from my trip to Louisiana/Texas the end of last year/beginning of this one. We had just ate at NOLA, Emeril Lagasse's restaurant. They have such satisfied faces.


Emily and I at the Baton Rouge Old Capital. They have such awesome trees down there. We have nothing like it in Utah.

Chad's brother Cacey just picking up random roadkill. He made sure we knew it was freshly killed and then asked us if we wanted the feet. No, I did not want the feet. :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny. I'm glad you ate at NOLA's. I had one of my most memorable meals there! I understand you have some other news that you need to add to your blog! Congratulations!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you are a blogging machine these days! Thanks for the updates. I found them quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pump seems like it would be such an adjustment. I really had no idea how life changing diabetes is, I know that sounds dumb, but I definitely have been enlightened. And nice work on the 30 day Shred, I have yet to complete a full cycle of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new updates. You are my amazing girl. Nothing gets you down for long. I am so proud of you and keep praying for a permanent solution so that diabetes is not such an intrusion in your life. Love you forever!!!

    ReplyDelete